Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Five Stars for "One Star"

I have lived in the South my entire life and this characteristic is enough for me to proclaim myself a BBQ aficionado.  I have spent many hours devoted to the study (eating) of the various regional styles of BBQ and the many varied sauces within those regions.  My favorites have always been Memphis-style and Texas-style. The tangy, vinegar-based sauces associated with the Carolina BBQ were never my favorite and while the Kansas City BBQ is good, the thick and sweet sauce sometimes overpowers the taste of the meat.  Atlanta is really known for their exceptional BBQ destinations but during my years living here, I have found a handful of respectable restaurants that serve some really great BBQ food.  This afternoon was no exception.  One Star Ranch has been around for 25 years in Buckhead and is less than 3 miles from where I live.  I have passed the place numerous times but it is hidden away behind a giant parking lot, which I always assumed was their parking lot.  Which, by the way, was always full.  I'm not one for waiting in a needlessly long line for food if I'm already hungry so I have never stopped in to check the place out.  But thanks to Scout Mob, I had a 50% off coupon and an afternoon off with my lunch companion so we decided to check it out.


When we arrived, we realized that the huge parking lot was really owned one of the many companies in Atlanta that buys up space in popular areas and charges $5 to park anytime of day, especially nearby popular restaurants and nightclubs.  This lot just so happens to be directly in front of One Star Ranch which is always looks so busy.  The actual parking is located across the street from the restaurant and it is free.  Once inside, you can seat yourself in their cozy dining room or at the bar.  The place is small but you don't feel cramped.  The tables are lined with vinyl table cloths and there's a roll of brown towels near the wall that is graffitied with dollar bills from past customers.  The menus are a single, laminated page.  No frills, no embellishments.  There are your basic BBQ meat options; ribs, pulled pork, brisket, chicken, smoked sausage, smoked turkey.  And then they have your traditional side options as well; coleslaw, brunswick stew, baked beans, corn on the cob, etc.

We opted to start with the fried pickles for an appetizer, Evan chose the smoked turkey and brisket combo, and I went with a pulled pork sandwich.  They were all fantastic.  No sauce on the table here.  They have their own sauce that they make in house that they put on the meat for you.  Not too much, not too little.  I decided to add a little coleslaw to my pork sandwich because I'm a big fan of the flavor combo and I was not disappointed.  The entire meal was great.  The prices are extremely reasonable, too.  Evan's meal was $13.99 for 2 meats and 2 sides and my meal was only $5.50 before the Scout Mob discount.  And we couldn't finish everything.

We also got to meet the owner of One Star, Frank, when we were paying our check.  He was a super friendly guy that chatted with us about how long the business had been around and wanted to know how we had found out about the place.  After finding out that it cost him about $7000 to run a Scout Mob promotion and each time a customer redeems a coupon, it cost him another $3, we will definitely think twice about just visiting restaurants once for the Scout Mob option and then never going back.   The idea behind the promo is to drum up repeat customers.  And after chatting with Frank and the delicious food, we will definitely be back.



One Star Ranch
25 Irby Avenue NW
Atlanta, GA 30305
404-233-7644
www.onestarranch.com

No comments:

Post a Comment