Sunday, January 16, 2011

I Got Sucked Into the Vortex

The Vortex
If you are passing through Atlanta, in search of a local hotspot you can never go wrong with the Vortex.  As soon as you walk in the door you will see why.  The have tall ceilings and as you look up the walls, they are plastered with framed awards from all the reviewers, magazines and critics that rate them the number one destination for a tasty burger in the South.  Some would even go as far as to say the best in the country.  When you see the line to get a table, rest assured, you picked the right place.  It's 18 and up only.  One of the few places left that still allows smoking indoors and has a full bar and a comedy club just past the bathrooms.  This place is a gem.  But the main reason you are here, is the burger.  Now I have been here many time before and have always been happy with my burgers but I have always been pretty safe with my choices; the bacon burger, the swiss and mushroom, the ragin' cajun, the yokohama mama... But I have always wanted to try the Elvis burger.

What is the Elvis burger?

Well...


"Half pound of pure deliciousness - cooked to any temperature you'd like.  Slathered with a King-sized helpin' of smooth peanut butter, bacon, and fried bananas."



The Laughing Skull Stage
Add a side of sweet potato fries and it set me back $10.25.  I'm in.  Their burger options are beef, veggie, bison, turkey, or chicken breast but I went with the traditional beef.  I figured the other frills were dangerous enough so I could leave the meat alone.  I am medium burger kind of girl so I decided to stick to a traditional order on this particular night.  The evening in question was a Wednesday but the place was packed.  Apparently this is par for the course.  It's a rare occurrence to show up after 5pm and not have to wait at least 20 minutes but believe me, it is well worth it.  I was accompanied by Evan and my friends from out of town, Katey and Beau.  The other deciding factor that sucked us into the Vortex was the comedy club attached to the back of the restaurant, The Laughing Skull Lounge.  When my friends visited last year, we came on a weekend, saw a comedian we had never heard of before, Pat Dixon, and laughed our asses off.  We vowed that next time around, we would definitely make a return trip.  Tonight was local comic night so we have about 10 local comedians to keep us laughing after our delicious dinner.

Elvis Burger
The place is decorated with a strange mash-up of everything from a taxidermy cowfish to skeletons on motorcycles to life-size half-naked tattooed lady portraits.  It's a very inviting atmosphere.  The waiting staff is pretty alternative and it is an 18 and up restaurant for a reason.  Don't come in looking for 5-star service but you will have a great time nonetheless.  Even on a super busy night, the food comes out crazy fast.  When I saw my Elvis burger, I did not regret taking a risk by ordering it.  It was in a word, amazing.  The tang of the bananas offset the creaminess of the peanut butter and the saltiness of the bacon and the beef were in perfect harmony with everything on the bun.  Be prepared to get a little sticky but it was well worth it.  I used my sweet potato fries to sop up everything that fell off my burger and left a happy, clean plate.  Mission accomplished.


Evan's Guacamole Burger
Some places get a lot of hype because they are doing crazy stuff and people want to try something new.  Some places get a lot of hype because it's expensive and people assume that if they charge a lot, it must be really good.  But if you see locals filling the entry way, weeknight after weeknight, without having to run a crazy promotion, or offer over the top food, then there is a reason the hype is deserved.  They are doing it right.  The quality is good.  They have found a niche and they are delivering night after night.  Go where the locals go and chances are, you will get a great meal.  And the locals love the Vortex.

Side note:  For those of you that watch "Man v. Food," you may have seen Adam Richman go to the Vortex before and eat the Double Bypass, which is not for the faint of heart.  I'll let the menu describe it for you:

"Two big half-pound sirloin patties, topped with two fried eggs, six slices of American cheese and eight slices of bacon , all served between the two grilled cheese sandwiches that we use in place of the regular hamburger buns.  $14.95"


The Vortex (Midtown)                      The Vortex (Little 5 Points)
8878 Peachtree Street                       438 Moreland Ave
Atlanta, GA 30309                            Atlanta, GA 30307
404-875-1667                                    404-688-1828
www.thevortexbarandgrill.com



No comments:

Post a Comment